This position will provide overall planning and support in purchasing and coordinating travel arrangements for program participants and companion travelers. Additional duties include maintaining databases, serving as point person for internal and external parties on matters related to travel, assisting with travel arrangements for YRS staff for the business-related purposes, and providing general administrative support, as needed. Individual accountabilities and work volume will be established through the development of annual Success Objectives, within the framework outlined below.
As part of the division of Youth & Residential Services, this position will be counted on and included in providing services to participants at the program sites and will assist the programs in every aspect of programming operations. The individual in this position is expected to report to and perform assigned service-related duties at the program sites for all relevant reasons including influxes in the census, staffing shortages, emergencies and trainings, among others.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Plan travel itineraries and transact related purchases, including the determination of destination, modes of transportation, travel dates, costs, and accommodations required, for program participants and accompanying transportation staff.
· Researches and identifies travel options that are both economical and efficient while working within the program budget and balancing that with programmatic needs and contract compliance.
· Serves as point person on travel activities for relevant YRS staff and proactively updates staff on itinerary changes and opportunities to achieve cost savings.
· Identify opportunities for cost savings and for simplifying logistics by grouping participants with similar destinations together and by collaborating with program staff to ensure efficient utilization of transportation staff.
· Serve as primary contact for external parties on matters related to travel, including billing disputes and resolution, and itinerary changes.
· Maintains a database of program participants who are ready to be discharged from the program and reunified with their sponsors.
· Maintains records of travel-related purchases and financial records and submits regular reports to agency accounting department and YRS management.
· Makes travel arrangements for YRS staff travelling for business-related purposes.
· Provides support for administrative team as needed, including covering the switchboard and welcoming visitors into the office.
· Non-technical tasks, such as photo-copying, faxing and filing, will be required.
· May occasionally work in a general capacity at the program sites. Working the milieu at the program sites requires supervision of clients both individually and in groups, actively participating in activities, and leading workshops, among other duties.
· May be required to assist with transportation and escort of program participants, both locally and state to state.
· May be required to ensure timely delivery of food and or supplies to other destinations, which may include driving an agency vehicle.
· Other duties may be assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Education and/or Experience: High school diploma or GED required. Five years administrative experience which includes, customer service, conflict resolution, meeting deliverables, and performance/contract outcomes is required or a combination of a related degree (such as purchasing, business administration, etc.) and progressive administrative experience. Experience in the travel industry is preferred. Strong Microsoft Excel skills required.
Language Skills: Bilingual ability in English and Spanish is required. Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
Computer Skills: Proficiency in Excel and Outlook is required. Proficiency using the internet for purchasing and a demonstrated ability to navigate make purchases on travel related websites is required. Must be willing to learn and become proficient in other programs as required.
· Other Qualifications: A valid driver’s license may be required. Must have excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
· Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
· The employee may be required to remain on Organization premises during breaks and/or meal periods and may be required to stay on Organization premises until their replacement arrives.
· Each YRS program site operates on a 24/7 basis, 365 days per year. To meet both the needs of our participants and contractual obligations, employees of YRS are required to be flexible in regards to scheduling and work location. Employees must be willing to work within this operational structure.
· Program sites are located throughout the Chicago area, including the North and South sides of Chicago, as well as the suburbs. Employees may be required to report to any one of our locations on a temporary or permanent basis.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position requires the ability to generate audible communication (e.g., conversing on a telephone or participating in a meeting) in a manner that should be readily recognized and understood by the audience.
This position requires the ability to successfully engage in non-technical work activities (e.g. read mail, file documents).
This position requires the ability to successfully identify and understand audible communications.
· This position requires the employee to frequently sit and stand; use hands to handle; reach with hands and arms; walk.
· The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
About Heartland Alliance Youth & Residential Services
Heartland Alliance for Human Needs & Human Rights helps people living in poverty or danger improve their lives and realize their human rights. From a refugee fleeing violence and torture to a resident of public housing trying to escape the cycle of poverty, Heartland Alliance helps people in the toughest of circumstances — who often have no place else to go.We bring a human rights perspective to o...ur work. We believe human rights are both about issues abroad as well as issues in our own backyard—including freedom from poverty, access to health care, a roof over your head, and fair treatment in the justice system.For 125 years, Heartland Alliance has provided hope, opportunity, and solutions—through both services and advocacy. Our work spans across four key areas, creating paths from crisis to stability and on to success in housing, health care, economic opportunities, and justice.