GREATER RALEIGH CONVENTION AND VISITORS BUREAU (GRCVB)
Public Relations Coordinator/Manager
The Public Relations Coordinator or Manager is an entry-to-mid-level position in the Public Relations Department who works with the Director of Public Relations to execute day-to-day media relations and international tourism trade efforts in order to promote Raleigh, N.C., to regional, national and international markets. Media relations responsibilities include working directly with editors, print reporters, broadcast journalists, bloggers, freelance writers, filmmakers, photographers, authors and publishers of travel-oriented books. The international tourism trade aspect of the job is tasked with selling and marketing Wake County to tour operators, receptive operators, wholesalers and retail travel agents in strategic international markets of interest. Work involves attending trade shows, managing client contacts and account maintenance, attending local and national hospitality events, making live presentations and creating and executing sales missions/FAM trips with Wake County partners and Visit NC.
Public Relations (80%)
- Develops new media relationships and leverages existing ones with broadcast and print media contacts, as well as online and blogger contacts. This is done through strategic pitching of story ideas and angles along with media tours, FAMs, site visits, frequent follow up with previous contacts as well as contact through social media channels.
- Maintains Media section of visitRaleigh.com with new information, media coverage, story ideas and images.
- Develops media materials and writes news releases, story idea sheets, backgrounders, fact sheets, media advisories, video news release scripts, articles and pitches aimed at local, regional, national and international press.
- Oversees basic design of pitch sheets, press kit materials and other media assets as needed.
- Coordinates on-site media visits, group FAMs, international media or any other on-site media visit or opportunity including hosting domestic FAMs or writers in partnership with Visit North Carolina.
o NOTE: This often means escorting the journalists and/or meeting them for lunch or dinner and working at night and on the weekends as needed.
- Part of a team effort in the organization of local media events that enhance the standing of tourism in the community or the unveiling of specific marketing efforts.
- Maintains internal media databases as well as tracking and measurement of earned media.
- Manages media/public relations portal and inputs content into organizational CRM software.
- Communicates with Wake County hospitality partners on media opportunities, coverage received and assists with any public relations efforts.
- Follows trends and media coverage in order to concept, develop, research and recommend new ideas for PR & marketing campaigns and media pitch angles.
- Assists other departments with special assignments and projects as needed.
International Tourism Trade (20%)
Works under the direction of Director of Public Relations to assist with the CVB’s efforts to grow international visitation from key strategic markets. The coordinator/manager will help the department achieve its goal to generate tour operator and receptive operator leads for hotels, attractions and other partners through:
- Working closely with Visit North Carolina and Public Relations Director to coordinate and execute site visits/FAM trips to the area for international tour operators.
- Attending joint trade shows and sales missions targeted towards international tour operators in markets of interest.
- Working with Wake County hotels, attractions and restaurants to educate them on the importance of the international business, how to work with that market and help generate business for our partners.
- Developing and arranging distribution of collateral materials, developing special interest travel promotions, compiling and maintaining a database of international customers as well as tracking and measurement for promotions.
- Manages the above using public relations database and measurement software as well as CRM software. Measures and reports regularly on the successes (or failures) of any new PR tactics.
- Assist with copywriting and proofread materials for other departments as needed.
- Attends and/or participates in community activities and meetings as appropriate.
- Maintains an ongoing awareness of partners, events, stories and personalities as well as the important issues within the local and national media, as well as local issues impacting the CVB and tourism.
REPORTS TO: Director of Public Relations
SALARY RANGE: Maximum $40K Annually
NOTE: Title and salary will commensurate with experience of candidate
WORKING ENVIRONMENT: This position will be a combination of in-office hours and telecommuting.